(L-R) AMSAT President Barry Baines, WD4ASW, ARRL CEO Dave Sumner, K1ZZ, and AMSAT Vice President Engineering Tony Monteiro, AA2TX with the Fox-1 engineering model at the 2013 Dayton Hamvention. (KB1SF photo) Click on image to enlarge.
The weekly broadcast of the Amateur Radio Newsline interviewed AMSAT President Barry Baines, WD4ASW at the Dayton Hamvention about the Fox-1 cubesat and the current situation in working with ITAR regulations. This is included in Amateur Radio Newsline Report 1868, dated May 31 2013 and carried on-the-air during many nets and amateur radio news reports. Here is a transcript of the interview with Barry, titled, “HAMVENTION 2013: PART 2 – WRAPPING IT UP”, by Amateur Radio Newsline’s Stephan Kinford, N8WB:
“While most tend to report on the Dayton Hamvention based on number of attendees and new equipment released or at least previewed, there is a lot more to this annual gathering. This is also a place where breaking news is first reported and according to AMSAT North America President Barry Baines, WD4ASW, hams involved in space communications had at least two things to smile about. The first was the announcement of a launch commitment for one of the group’s newest birds.
The May/June 2013 AMSAT Journal is complete and at the print shop now. Look for your issue to arrive in the mail soon!
Here is a sample of what you will find in this issue:
- AMSAT Announcements
- Apogee View by Barry Baines, WD4ASW
- Amateur Radio in Space Triggers Young Visitor by Maurice-André Vigneault, VE3VIG
- AMSAT-NA Board of Directors Meeting Minutes by Alan Biddle, Corporate Secretary, WA4SCA
- AMSAT Field Day by Bruce Paige, KK5DO
- Working Earth-Moon-Earth with MAP65 and the FUNcube Dongle Pro+ by David A. Palmer, KB5WIA
- AMSAT-NA Board of Directors Nominations
- Interlock Timer Circuit Protects Your Preamps by Ronald G. Parsons, W5RKN
- AMSAT Fox-2 MPPT Collaboration with EE Students at R.I.T
- AMSAT-NA 2013 Space Symposium and Annual General Meeting Announcement
- Oscar Zero News by Bob DeVarney, W1ICW
- Cheap and Easy 2.2 to 2.3 GHz Bandpass Filter by John M. Franke, WA4WDL
- April/May Cubesat Launches Summary
- NASA Announces AMSAT Fox-1 Launch Date
- AMSAT Shows Fox-1 at Dayton Hamvention
Joe Spier, W6WAO (left) conducting the ARISS contact during Pacificon 2012
Joe Spier K6WAO, of Weimar, CA has joined the AMSAT News Service as a rotating editor. Joe also serves AMSAT as Associate Director for Education. He was the contact liaison for the AMSAT sponsored Pacificon ARISS contact, last Fall. Look for Joe’s first ANS Bulletin, scheduled for release on June 9 as ANS 160. AMSAT welcomes Joe and thanks him for volunteering his time to the AMSAT News Service. Please send any news related to amateur radio in space to the ANS Editor mailbox at email@example.com..